Control

Back foot, front foot ... Back foot, front foot ... Back foot, front foot.
The rhythm of it was driving me nuts.
I could smell the sweat that seemed to be flowing from every part of me.
The metallic taste of the blood in my mouth seemed a little out of place. Didn't really notice.
The tooth was shaking a little too much, distracting me.
Southpaw, keep your eye on the left arm.
..............................
There goes the tooth.
"Left shoulder, NOT left arm, damn it." Keep the gloves up. This guy's good.
He's big, fast and he's been at this for a lot longer than I have. Maybe this was a bad idea.
Back into the rhythm - Back foot, front foot ... Back foot, front foot ... Back foot, front foot.
Almost hypnotic. Driving me nuts.
His arm coming at me. Gloves go up. Pressure against the gloves. He's goading me!!
Three rounds, a tooth, a split lip and he's goading me!
Boxing is supposed to be a sophisticated sport. Not at all like street fighting.
"Keep your emotions under control. Anger is your worst enemy."
Damn it! The rhythm is driving me NUTS!!
Can't see him too clearly through the gloves. Sounds? Coming from him? He's laughing through his mouthpiece!
He sees the kid I am, he doesn't see an opponent. He thinks am a kid playing at boxing.
"Keep your emotions under control. Anger is your worst enemy."
I keep hearing the coach telling me that.
Jabs - can feel them coming one after the other against the gloves in front of my face.
Red - there's something red on my gloves. Blood from the spit lip I gave him.
Pressure's gone. He let up. Why?
A couple of more steps and I would be at the ropes.
Curious. Gloves come down.
"Don't ever let your guard down."
I wanna see why he let up. He's standing there, ready .... waiting.
I just gave him the opening he wanted. His gloved hand comes through, right up until my nose. Everything's black.
Pressure against my nose. My eyes were closed ..... waiting for the punch to land.
He flicked my nose ..... backing away.
I can see the amusement in his eyes.
"Keep your emotions under control. Anger is your worst enemy."
"Shut the fuck up, coach!!"
-------------------------------------------------------
Walking to the center of the ring.
Back foot, front foot ... Back foot, front foot ... Back foot, front foot..............
The rhythm is still driving me up the wall.
There's more to it this time...... he's not amused anymore.
We are both dancing to the same song. Its almost choreographed..........
Back foot, front foot ... Back foot, front foot ... Back foot, front foot... Back foot, Back foot!

That's it. Arms goes up. Left, right, left, left, right, left.
Technique's gone out the window ..... back to basics
Sophistication is for people with class. Power is raw.
White canvas, white canvas, white canvas ...... feels soft under my hands...... probably the padding protecting his hands.
Stumble forward ...... my hand's through his guard ........... keep going .......... left, left, left - he's a southpaw.
Bone is a little hard ................. punch .............. punch .............. jab ............... punch ..............
jab .............. flesh makes it seem soft .......
Hand goes forward a little more than it should ....... (?)
Where is he ............... Ah!! ...... punch........ something in my eye ............. punch ........... punch ........... punch ....... PUNCH!
Arms not moving ............. Turn around ............... coach?
Look down .................. red ........... eye isn't opening ....... blood running down the side of my eye .......... not mine ......... his.
His nose ....... jaw ............... eye
He's under me.
"Keep your emotions under control. Anger is your worst enemy."
------------------------------------------------------------------
Control - man or animal?

4 comments:

Sketcher said...

Phew... First i was confused with what i was reading, went back to the start and then for a monent i thought you were narrating a scene from "Rocky". :)
I never knew what a boxer is thinking of when he is there in the ring trying to break thru the guard of the opponent and get him down. Thanks for letting me know that. And now that i know what goes on in the ring... it kinda gives me the jitters to think of being in there.

'Smee! said...

Dejavu
Good stuff man.

Stargazer said...

@John - Not as bad as it seems. Besides, you end up learning a lot. :-)

@- - When are you going to change your screenname?!
Thank you. :-) I aim to please.

Anonymous said...

'He sees the kid I am, he doesn't see an opponent. He thinks am a kid playing at boxing.'
......very true!!!!!!:-)
so finally u cud manage to dance;-)